Cannot think of giving support to UPA: Nitish
Patna: A day after his statement that he would extend support to anyone who granted special category status to Bihar, Chief Minister Nitish Kumar today clarified that it said in the context of the 2014 general elections and he could not think of giving support to the UPA.
"Unko (UPA) samarthan dena to meri soch ke bhi bahar hai (I cannot ever think of giving support to the UPA)," Kumar told reporters in reply to a question.
"Whatever I said at the public meeting at Betiah yesterday should not be related to the present political situation ... I had said that in the context of 2014 general elections," the chief minister said.
Kumar said that he had also said at the same meeting that the political might of the people of Bihar could not be ignored and if the people united in the 2014 general elections then they could, by virtue of 40 MPs, play a decisive role in formation of the next government at the Centre.
On the flux at the Centre following withdrawal of support to the UPA government by TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee, Kumar said that he his personal assessment was that the UPA government would not collapse as the was good at managing numbers.
"Congress ke log bahut jugadu hai ... Ek jata hai to dusare ko pakad lete hai (Congress leaders are good at managing numbers, if one goes out then they catch someone else for support)," he said.
On his reaction to the response of the people to the opposition-sponsored nationwide bandh, Kumar said that the largescale public participation was spontaneous as three serious issues like diesel price hike, subsidized LPG cylinders and FDI in retail touched a chord.
"All these three are serious issues and a big chain of political events affecting the people and the country," he said and claimed that even those associated with the UPA joined the stir or extended support to it.
"There will be large scale unemployment after opening the multi-brand retail to foreign companies," the chief minister said, adding that large companies would remove smaller traders to make a hefty profit by monopolizing the retail business.
On criticism by the RJD supremo Lalu Prasad against his `Adhikar Yatra` to ramp up support on the special status issue, he said that if he was a supporter of this demand then he should join the campaign.
On Prasad`s support to FDI in retail, Kumar said that the RJD leader`s mindset has changed and he appeared to be eyeing something by extending support to the UPA government on FDI in retail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh