Cold wave intensifies in Bihar
Patna: The cold wave intensified in Bihar on Wednesday with chilly winds from North and Eastern region of the Himalayas sweeping the plain districts of the state even as Gaya remained the coldest place with a minimum temperature at 4.6 degree Celsius, the Meteorological office (MET) said.
The severity of the winter chill has intensified in Bihar due to the icy winds blowing from North and Eastern region of the Himalayans blowing since the past couple of days, the MET Director A.K. Sen said.
The night temperature may fall further due to intensified cold wave condition, he said.
Gaya remained the coldest place in Bihar with a minimum temperature at 4.6 degree Celsius which was four degree less than normal temperature, the MET office said.
Patna recorded a minimum temperature of 8.9 degree Celsius even though the Patnaites had a minor respite from the cold as bright sunshine shone through the day, it said.
Purnia and Muzaffarpur recorded minimum temperature at 7.7 and 8.8 degree Celsius, while the same at Bhagalpur and Chapra stood at 7.4 and 6.3, Met office said.
Meanwhile, the cold weather condition accompanied by fog in the early hours of the day disrupted road, rail and air services as two persons were killed in road accident in Muzaffarpur district due to poor visibility on the road, official sources said.
Dozens of long-distance and local trains were running behind schedule by several hours due to foggy weather reducing visibility, they said, adding that the first commercial flight at the Jai Prakash Narayan International Airport landed only after 1.45 pm after the visibility improved.
Meanwhile, the state government has released Rs 28 lakh for making bonfire arrangements at public places like street corners, night shelters and bus stands to provide respite to the people from chilly weather.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave