Decline in Maoist violence in Bihar: Report
Patna: The number of people killed in Maoist violence in Bihar declined in 2006-09 as compared to previous years, an official said Monday.
"At least 160 civilians were killed in Maoist violence between 2006-09. It is less than one-fourth compared to that of previous years," a police official told IANS here Monday.
The figures are from the latest State Crime Record Bureau report released Monday.
According to official sources, 668 civilians were killed in Maoist violence between 2001 and 2004.
Bihar police chief Neelmani said decline in civilians casualties was one of the several parameters to show that the Maoist violence in the state is on the decline. Police arrested 1,881 rebels, including 350 hardcore Maoists, in 2006-09.
In 2001-04, police arrested 1,160 left wing rebels.
Similarly, police seized 62,841 kg explosives from the Maoists between 2006-09 as compared to 94 kg in 2001-04.
Police also seized 560 firearms from Maoists between 2006-09 compared to 496 in 2001-04.
Neelmani, who took over as the police chief Feb 28, said the state government had launched the `sarkar apke dwar` (government at your doorstep) scheme in seven Maoist-affected districts.
He said the government will also launch community policing with the help of local residents, organise health camps and ensure that children remain in schools.
Last week, the state government admitted in the assembly that out of 40 districts, 33 were affected by Maoist violence.
The government has also launched a relief and rehabilitation policy for the Maoists willing to join the mainstream and so far 297 rebels have laid down their arms, an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves