Education Minister P K Shahi to contest Maharajganj LS seat
Chapra: Education Minister in the Nitish Kumar government P K Shahi on Sunday announced he will contest the Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in the bypoll to be held later this year and seek to wrest the prestigious seat from the RJD.
Speaking at a function, Shahi said he will contest the bypoll on Maharajganj parliamentary seat on the direction of the JD(U) leadership and launch a mass contact programme after the conclusion of the budget session of the state legislature next week.
It is for the first time that the Education Minister has revealed the party`s decision to put him up as its candidate from Maharajganj parliamentary seat against the RJD as indications in this regard was already doing the rounds.
The Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat has fallen vacant following death of the incumbent RJD MP Umashankar Singh earlier.
The RJD is likely to put up senior leader Prabhunath Singh as its candidate, the party sources said.
Singh, then the JD(U) nominee, had lost the elections to the late Umashankar Singh from Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in 2009 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal