Education Minister P K Shahi to contest Maharajganj LS seat
Chapra: Education Minister in the Nitish Kumar government P K Shahi on Sunday announced he will contest the Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in the bypoll to be held later this year and seek to wrest the prestigious seat from the RJD.
Speaking at a function, Shahi said he will contest the bypoll on Maharajganj parliamentary seat on the direction of the JD(U) leadership and launch a mass contact programme after the conclusion of the budget session of the state legislature next week.
It is for the first time that the Education Minister has revealed the party`s decision to put him up as its candidate from Maharajganj parliamentary seat against the RJD as indications in this regard was already doing the rounds.
The Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat has fallen vacant following death of the incumbent RJD MP Umashankar Singh earlier.
The RJD is likely to put up senior leader Prabhunath Singh as its candidate, the party sources said.
Singh, then the JD(U) nominee, had lost the elections to the late Umashankar Singh from Maharajganj Lok Sabha seat in 2009 general elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Saraswati Puja on Vasant Panchami - Tithi, Muhurt and Vidhi
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat