Facilities for ex-MPs and legislators in jails to
Patna: Bihar government today said there is no provision to provide class one status to former MPs and legislators in prisons in the state like that existing for incumbent members but said it would revisit the existing provisions.
Minister in-charge Home, Vijay Chaudhary gave the assurance to revisit the provisions as listed in government notification of 1970 in reply to a starred question of JD(U) MLA Ranvijay Singh in the state assembly.
The minister said there is provision to provide class one facility to incumbent parliamentarians, ministers and legislators, former central ministers, ex-speakers and deputy speakers but not for former MPs and MLAs/MLCs.
There is detailed guideline that people of high social and educational qualification could be provided class one facility in prisons provided they were not found involved in heinous crimes like rape and were not habitual criminals among others.
Singh insisted on extending the class one facility to ex-MPs and ex-legislators. "Do their status and need change once they (ex-MPs and legislators) are defeated in elections?"
Leader of Opposition Abdul Bari Siddiqui intervened and asked the minister to inform the house about existing provisions and their implementation so far in the state.
On this Chaudhary said he would revisit the provisions and inform the house of the details.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez