Financial and transport services hit in Bihar
Patna: The transport and financial services were hit in Bihar today on the second day of the two-day strike called by central trade unions to protest the central government`s economic policies.
Protestors with red flags disrupted the movement of dozens of trains in various sections of the East-Central Railway since morning, ECR Chief Public Relation Officer Amitabh Prabhakar said.
The services resumed only after some hours after the protesters were persuaded to clear the tracks, Prabhakar said.
The road transport was also hit as over one lakh trucks were off the roads in support of the strike, All India Truck Owners Association president Bhanu Shekhar Prasad Singh said.
The financial services were adversely affected for the second day with public and private sector banks remaining closed, General Secretary of the Bank Employees` Federation, Bihar, B Prasad, said.
Bank employees took out processions in Gaya, Bhagalpur, Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga and Begusarai and other districts, he said.
In Patna, the protestors took out processions at various places, including the busy Dak Bunglow roundabout and R Block with some trying to march to the Vidhan Sabha, but were stopped by policemen, official sources said.
Shops and business establishments in the capital remained closed, while the schools and academic institutions were shut for the second day as a precautionary measure, the sources said.
The CPI(M-L) Liberation claimed success of the two-day strike in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Major Dhyan Chand example of sportsman spirit, patriotism: PM Modi pays tribute to the hockey legend
- Two criminals arrested; stolen motorcycle, arms recovered
- Congress not to project a CM candidate in Gujarat
- Ranveer Singh's rendition of 'Pardesi Pardesi' is so bad it is actually good! - Watch video
- Balochistan Assembly adopts resolution against PM Narendra Modi - Know details