Financial and transport services hit in Bihar
Patna: The transport and financial services were hit in Bihar today on the second day of the two-day strike called by central trade unions to protest the central government`s economic policies.
Protestors with red flags disrupted the movement of dozens of trains in various sections of the East-Central Railway since morning, ECR Chief Public Relation Officer Amitabh Prabhakar said.
The services resumed only after some hours after the protesters were persuaded to clear the tracks, Prabhakar said.
The road transport was also hit as over one lakh trucks were off the roads in support of the strike, All India Truck Owners Association president Bhanu Shekhar Prasad Singh said.
The financial services were adversely affected for the second day with public and private sector banks remaining closed, General Secretary of the Bank Employees` Federation, Bihar, B Prasad, said.
Bank employees took out processions in Gaya, Bhagalpur, Muzaffarpur, Darbhanga and Begusarai and other districts, he said.
In Patna, the protestors took out processions at various places, including the busy Dak Bunglow roundabout and R Block with some trying to march to the Vidhan Sabha, but were stopped by policemen, official sources said.
Shops and business establishments in the capital remained closed, while the schools and academic institutions were shut for the second day as a precautionary measure, the sources said.
The CPI(M-L) Liberation claimed success of the two-day strike in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly
- Mbose.in 10th SSLC Results 2016: Megresults.nic.in Meghalaya Board SSLC Class 10th exam results 2016 to be announced shortly