Financial inclusion on Bihar very bright
Patna: The prospect of financial inclusion in Bihar was very bright as banks proposed to set up 14,000 outlets, including banking correspondents in the state next year, Deputy Chief Minister, Sushil Kumar Modi said on Saturday.
Banks will have to open two crore new accounts for which more branches would have to be set up, Modi told a seminar on `Bihar: Banking on Inclusion` here.
At present, there were 4882 bank branches in Bihar, including 2750 in rural areas, he said.
The state government proposed to distribute pension and scholarships to beneficiaries, including 1.5 students of SC/ST and EBC categories, through banks as availability of funds should not be a problem for the banking institutions, he said.
Banks should also consider providing mobile banking and setting up more ATMs under the multi-channel delivery model, he said.
Modi urged banks in the state not to bother about loss of their loans as the repayment rate by borrowers has improved and the loans were safe.
He said that the state government has decided to distribute special E-Shakti identity cards online to all citizens above 18 years age at a cost of Rs 631 crore.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof