Five kids die of Encephalitis in Bihar
Patna: Five children died of encephalitis in Bihar`s Muzaffarpur district since Friday, an official said on Saturday.
Muzaffarpur civil surgeon Gayan Bhushan said five more children succumbed to encephalitis since Friday in state hospitals.
"So far, 23 children died of encephalitis this year," he said.
Over half a dozen children were warded in government hospitals and in private nursing homes in Muzaffarpur, about 70 km from here.
Bhushan told a news agency over telephone that till date, 77 encephalitis cases have been reported across the state.
The symptoms of this mosquito-borne disease include high fever, irritation and swelling in the brain.
Bihar Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey blamed the deaths on the sudden rise in mercury in the last few days, following rains in north Bihar, and humid weather.
Last year, the disease killed nearly 240 children in Muzaffarpur and Gaya districts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum