Mystery fever is Encephalitis, toll climbs to 41
Patna: The mystery disease that has rocked Bihar and killed six more children by Thursday morning has at last been identified. It is encephalitis, an official Thursday said. The latest deaths have pushed the toll in the state to 41 children in the past ten days.
"It is not a mysterious disease, it is encephalitis that killed children," said Dr I.P. Choudhary, a member of the central medical team from New Delhi.
But state Health Minister Ashwani Kumar Choubey said: "It was not proper to term it as encephalitis."
"Only the type of encephalitis has to be identified now. It will take some more time till clinical test results are available," Choudhary said.
According to a district health official, in the last the 24 hours, six more children have died of this disease, taking the deaths in the state to 41 by Thursday morning.
"Three children died in Muzaffarpur`s hospitals Thursday morning and two died late Wednesday and one died in a village," a district health official said.
All the children died after they got high fever followed by convulsions and unconsciousness. Locals have repeatedly been terming the disease as "chamki ki bimari", saying the symptoms were similar to those of encephalitis, which causes inflammation of the brain.
Two expert teams - one from Pune-based National Institute of Virology and another from the central health ministry - visited hospitals in Muzaffarpur Tuesday and Wednesday where dozens of children are undergoing treatment.
Principal Health Secretary Amarjeet Sinha said the experts also collected samples of mosquitoes and animals to identify the cause of the disease.
Over three dozen children are undergoing treatment in various hospitals in Muzaffarpur, Motihari and Patna.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark