NCP in talks with RJD for alliance in Bihar
New Delhi: Sharad Pawar-led NCP on Monday said it is in talks with Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) for possible alliance in Bihar in coming general elections.
"We are in talks with RJD for alliance," NCP General Secretary and Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Processing Tariq Anwar told reporters here.
However, Anwar said the alliance with RJD would depend on the party with which the UPA will align.
Asked if AAP will be a spoilsport in the coming general elections, he said "such challenges do come in politics. Every party should be ready to take challenges."
On Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde`s remark on `Sharad Pawar for PM post`, Anwar said "Shinde spoke out of formality and there is nothing like that. Pawar has all the ability and quality to become PM. Pawar himself feels that numbers are not in our favour."
Last week, RJD chief Lalu Prasad had met Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi and discussed a possible alliance between the two parties in Bihar.
Lalu is likely to meet the Congress chief again later this month for working out details of a possible alliance. He had earlier said he has full confidence that an alliance of Congress-RJD-LJP will happen this time and will halt the march of "communal forces" in Bihar, Jharkhand and elsewhere.
LJP and RJD had fought 2009 Lok Sabha elections separately without an alliance with Congress and as a result RJD could win only four seats in Bihar while Congress two and LJP failed to open its account. This was in stark contrast to their having together won 29 seats in 2004 Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof