Nitish defends top cop`s stand on videography of rioting
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday defended the Director General of Police (DGP) Abhayanand`s for justifying videography of the riots perpetrated by the supporters of the slain Ranvir Sena chief Brahmeshwar Singh alias Mukhiyaji on the streets here instead of taking action against the rioters on June two last.
"The restraint shown by the district police at the behest of the DGP was fully justified in view of sensitivity and gravity of the situation," he told reporters.
Had the police taken action against the rioters on the fateful day, the consequences could have been disastrous, Kumar said.
The chief minister was undertaking seva yatra to Bhagalpur district when the Ranvir Sena chief was gunned down by the assailants in Bhojpur district on June one last that sparked off rioting in Ara town and in the state capital a day later during funeral of the Sena leader.
Kumar had said he was himself monitoring the situation and directed the DGP to exercise restraint to deal with the situation (law and order).
Abhayanand had justified videography of rioting and registration of cases against the rioters instead of taking action against such elements as a tool of policing while making a presentation at the annual conference of top police officials.
"I am aware of what the DGP has said at the conference and he has also briefed me about his presentation of professional policing....There has nothing wrong in his views," the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145