Nitish defends top cop`s stand on videography of rioting
Patna: Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Monday defended the Director General of Police (DGP) Abhayanand`s for justifying videography of the riots perpetrated by the supporters of the slain Ranvir Sena chief Brahmeshwar Singh alias Mukhiyaji on the streets here instead of taking action against the rioters on June two last.
"The restraint shown by the district police at the behest of the DGP was fully justified in view of sensitivity and gravity of the situation," he told reporters.
Had the police taken action against the rioters on the fateful day, the consequences could have been disastrous, Kumar said.
The chief minister was undertaking seva yatra to Bhagalpur district when the Ranvir Sena chief was gunned down by the assailants in Bhojpur district on June one last that sparked off rioting in Ara town and in the state capital a day later during funeral of the Sena leader.
Kumar had said he was himself monitoring the situation and directed the DGP to exercise restraint to deal with the situation (law and order).
Abhayanand had justified videography of rioting and registration of cases against the rioters instead of taking action against such elements as a tool of policing while making a presentation at the annual conference of top police officials.
"I am aware of what the DGP has said at the conference and he has also briefed me about his presentation of professional policing....There has nothing wrong in his views," the chief minister said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!