Nitish govt orders judicial probe into police firing at Bagha
Patna: Facing heat from Opposition parties on the police firing on tribals on June 24 in which six persons were killed, the Bihar government on Friday decided to order a judicial probe into the incident and gave marching orders to the Superintendent of Police of Bagha.
The Home department would make a request to the Patna High Court to provide name of either a serving judge or retired judge to head the probe team, Principal Secretary Home Amir Subhani said in a release.
The government also decided to give marching orders to Bagha Police Superintendent Sunil Kumar for the firing incident, he said.
The stringent action was on the basis of recommendations of the two-member inquiry team set up by the government on the incident.
The inquiry team comprised Additional Director General of Police (Law and Order) S K Bhardwaj and Director General (Prisons) Anand Kishore.
Naurangia police station officer in-charge Vinay Kumar has already been suspended. OC of Balmikinagar was also found not fulfilling duty, Subhani said, adding disciplinary action would be initiated against the two.
The government also decided to provide Rs 5 lakh compensation to family of the dead. It also decided to provide proper medical treatment to injured from state`s fund.
The Bagha incident has put the Nitish Kumar government into trouble.
Former NDA partner BJP observed "Bagha bandh" on June 26. Former Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi met victims’ families there. Modi and other BJP leaders today observed a dharna in the capital on Bagha police firing.
Left parties had also observed Bihar bandh yesterday on the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- Huge blow for Arvind Kejriwal ahead of MCD elections, AAP MLA Ved Prakash joins BJP