‘Low minimum wage forcing migration from Bihar’
Patna: The BJP, now in the opposition after its split from JD(U), on Friday criticised the Nitish Kumar government for fixing daily minimum wage at paltry Rs 162 which, it said, has forced labourers to migrate to other states.
Party leader and former Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Kumar Modi told reporters that labourers from Bihar were migrating to states like Gujarat in search of better remuneration as they are not getting even the minimum stipulated wage.
Modi was speaking at Kargil Chowk where he led a day-long sit-in by BJP leaders and workers to protest against police firing on the Tharu tribal people at Bagaha four days ago in which six tribals were killed and others suffered bullet injuries.
Slamming the state government for an insensitive attitude towards Tharu tribal people, many of whom have gone over to Gujarat for work, he said the recent police firing has shaken their confidence about safety and security, he said.
Modi reiterated his demand for Rs 10 lakh compensation to the kin of those killed in police firing and arrest of the guilty policemen on murder charge, saying he would fast for 24 hours next week if the state government failed to meet his demand.
On Chief Minister Nitish Kumar`s warning to BJP leaders to expose them, Modi dared him to do so and wondered what he was waiting for.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- LIVE: Indian Army destroys 7 terror launch pads across Line of Control; all-party meeting at 4 pm