Opposition attacks Nitish govt over PCI report
Patna: Opposition on Wednesday attacked Nitish Kumar government over a Press Council of India report which accused the Bihar government of "arm-twisting" the press.
With the PCI report providing a fresh impetus to the opposition to attack the NDA government in Bihar, RJD, LJP and Congress launched a broadside against Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for "gagging freedom of press".
Reacting to the three-member PCI team report submitted to PCI Chairman Justice (Retd) Markandey Katju, RJD President Lalu Prasad told reporters the NDA government deserves to drown.
"This is an explosive situation for the survival of democracy," he told reporters.
The RJD supremo, whose party supports the UPA from outside, said he was making arrangements to get a copy of the report to make it public.
Lokjanshakti Party (LJP) Chief and former Union minister Ramvilas Paswan said the situation was "even worse than the one experienced during emergency."
"It is true that due to intense government pressure, the print media has virtually become a mouthpiece of government... there is no freedom of press in the state," Paswan told reporters.
Congress also criticised Nitish Kumar government over the PCI report.
AICC Secretary and party in-charge of Bihar affair Gurchain Singh Charak told reporters that the "voice of media is being throttled".
In an indictment of Nitish Government, a PCI fact-finding team has accused it of "arm-twisting" press in Bihar to function as its "undeclared mouthpiece" by exploiting its monopolistic status in handing out advertisements and likened the situation to Emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt