Opposition attacks Nitish govt over PCI report
Patna: Opposition on Wednesday attacked Nitish Kumar government over a Press Council of India report which accused the Bihar government of "arm-twisting" the press.
With the PCI report providing a fresh impetus to the opposition to attack the NDA government in Bihar, RJD, LJP and Congress launched a broadside against Chief Minister Nitish Kumar for "gagging freedom of press".
Reacting to the three-member PCI team report submitted to PCI Chairman Justice (Retd) Markandey Katju, RJD President Lalu Prasad told reporters the NDA government deserves to drown.
"This is an explosive situation for the survival of democracy," he told reporters.
The RJD supremo, whose party supports the UPA from outside, said he was making arrangements to get a copy of the report to make it public.
Lokjanshakti Party (LJP) Chief and former Union minister Ramvilas Paswan said the situation was "even worse than the one experienced during emergency."
"It is true that due to intense government pressure, the print media has virtually become a mouthpiece of government... there is no freedom of press in the state," Paswan told reporters.
Congress also criticised Nitish Kumar government over the PCI report.
AICC Secretary and party in-charge of Bihar affair Gurchain Singh Charak told reporters that the "voice of media is being throttled".
In an indictment of Nitish Government, a PCI fact-finding team has accused it of "arm-twisting" press in Bihar to function as its "undeclared mouthpiece" by exploiting its monopolistic status in handing out advertisements and likened the situation to Emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow