RJD`s no-confidence motion against NDA govt rejected
Patna: In a major embarrassment to the RJD, its no-confidence motion in the Bihar Assembly against the Nitish Kumar government was on Thursday rejected by Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary for lack of required strength of supporting members.
Soon after the Question Hour, RJD MLA Durga Prasad Singh and six other party members submitted a no-confidence motion against the government to the Speaker.
After a brief perusal of the signatories, Chaudhary rejected the no-confidence motion on the ground that only 17 members wanted to bring such a motion as against minimum requirement of 23 members.
The Congress (4), LJP (1), CPI (1) and six Independent MLAs did not come forward to support the RJD`s no-confidence motion.
Singh, however, defended his initiative to bring the no-confidence motion saying he did so to shake up the state government "which was not discharging its constitutional duty properly".
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who was present in the House when the motion was submitted, sought to support the Opposition`s right to do so, but maintained that the Speaker was the sole authority to decide on the matter as per rules.
Water Resources Department (WRD) Minister Vijay Kumar Chaudhary said the RJD, being the main Opposition, "has no knowledge of parliamentary norms" and it tried to make a mockery of the rules by introducing the no-confidence motion without having the required strength.
Chaudhary claimed that even the Leader of Opposition Abdul Bari Siddique was not consulted by fellow RJD MLAs on introduction of the motion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen