RJD`s no-confidence motion against NDA govt rejected
Patna: In a major embarrassment to the RJD, its no-confidence motion in the Bihar Assembly against the Nitish Kumar government was on Thursday rejected by Speaker Uday Narayan Chaudhary for lack of required strength of supporting members.
Soon after the Question Hour, RJD MLA Durga Prasad Singh and six other party members submitted a no-confidence motion against the government to the Speaker.
After a brief perusal of the signatories, Chaudhary rejected the no-confidence motion on the ground that only 17 members wanted to bring such a motion as against minimum requirement of 23 members.
The Congress (4), LJP (1), CPI (1) and six Independent MLAs did not come forward to support the RJD`s no-confidence motion.
Singh, however, defended his initiative to bring the no-confidence motion saying he did so to shake up the state government "which was not discharging its constitutional duty properly".
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who was present in the House when the motion was submitted, sought to support the Opposition`s right to do so, but maintained that the Speaker was the sole authority to decide on the matter as per rules.
Water Resources Department (WRD) Minister Vijay Kumar Chaudhary said the RJD, being the main Opposition, "has no knowledge of parliamentary norms" and it tried to make a mockery of the rules by introducing the no-confidence motion without having the required strength.
Chaudhary claimed that even the Leader of Opposition Abdul Bari Siddique was not consulted by fellow RJD MLAs on introduction of the motion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video