Senior JD(U) leader Monazir Hassan quits party to join BJP
Patna: Ruling JD(U) in Bihar on Tuesday received a jolt when its senior leader Monazir Hassan resigned from the party to join BJP.
"I have resigned from primary membership of JD(U) due to constant erosion of democracy within the party," Monazir Hassan told PTI.
Though he did not name former Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Hassan said he was troubled by constant decline of inner party democracy within JD(U) and hence decided to quit it.
Asked about his future course of action, he said he would be joining BJP tomorrow.
"I will join BJP tomorrow in Patna," he said.
Resignation of Monazir Hassan from the party has come as a rude shock to JD(U) which has been battling hard after severe drubbing in the general elections where it could manage only two seats out of 40 in the state.
Monazir Hassan had unsuccessfully contested Lok Sabha election from Begusarai.
He has served as MLA from Munger for four terms and represented Begusarai in Parliament from 2009-2014.
Hassan served as minister in Bihar under RJD rule in 2000 and later in the first term of Nitish Kumar government in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city