Senior JD(U) leader Monazir Hassan quits party to join BJP
Patna: Ruling JD(U) in Bihar on Tuesday received a jolt when its senior leader Monazir Hassan resigned from the party to join BJP.
"I have resigned from primary membership of JD(U) due to constant erosion of democracy within the party," Monazir Hassan told PTI.
Though he did not name former Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, Hassan said he was troubled by constant decline of inner party democracy within JD(U) and hence decided to quit it.
Asked about his future course of action, he said he would be joining BJP tomorrow.
"I will join BJP tomorrow in Patna," he said.
Resignation of Monazir Hassan from the party has come as a rude shock to JD(U) which has been battling hard after severe drubbing in the general elections where it could manage only two seats out of 40 in the state.
Monazir Hassan had unsuccessfully contested Lok Sabha election from Begusarai.
He has served as MLA from Munger for four terms and represented Begusarai in Parliament from 2009-2014.
Hassan served as minister in Bihar under RJD rule in 2000 and later in the first term of Nitish Kumar government in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued