Shortage prompts use of child priests in Gaya
Gaya: Children as young as six, rather than mastering their alphabets, are chanting vedic hymns at the famous Vishnupad temple here - thanks to the acute shortage of traditional Hindu priests in this ancient Bihar city that is also known for its close links to Buddhism and Jainism.
Kunal Gurda (6) and Satyam Kumar Gupt (8), students of Class 1 and 3 respectively, are among dozens of children conducting `pind daan`, or the religious rites seeking salvation for the dead from the cycle of rebirth, at the temple dedicated to Lord Vishnu.
Both Satyam and Kunal are sons of Hindu priests at Vishnupad, known as Gaywal Pandas, who perform the traditional pind daan ritual at the temple. The ritual is performed during the 15-day "Pitrapaksh" period which is currently under way.
"There are nearly a dozen minors, not well-versed in Vedic rituals, who have been performing pind daan due to shortage of qualified priests," said Bablu Lal Gurda, a priest, whose son Abhay, a kindergartener, also performs the religious rite.
Clad in cotton kurta-pajamas with chandan smeared on their forehead, the children are excited about their new `duties`. "It is a matter of pride for me that I got this opportunity early on. It is our birthright to conduct pind daan for devotees," Satyam said.
"These children are born in the families of priests and deserve to conduct pind daan," said Munna Lal, a priest.
Another priest, Mahesh Lal Gupt, said it is the first time that Gaywal Pandas have been forced to take help of their young children.
"The younger generation is least interested in learning Sanskrit and conducting religious rites that we have been doing for generations. Besides, they prefer other professions for a good life and leave Gaya in search of jobs," Gupt said.
According to Manohar Singh, a retired government official, the number of qualified priests has dwindled here over the years.
Ganesh Lal Hall, another priest, agreed. "With more than 300,000 devotees coming here to perform pind daan, our numbers have not grown up with time. It is a serious situation for us," he said.
The pind daan ritual is performed on the banks of the sacred Falgu river.
According to Hindu belief, the soul wanders after death until pind daan is performed.
"The soul keeps wandering till this ritual is performed by male descendants of the dead," priest Murari Lal explained.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt