SP gets marching order for allegedly thrashing liquor trader
Patna: Days after a liquor trader was assaulted, Superintendent of Police of Bihar`s Sheikpura district Babu Ram has been removed and policemen of Barbigha police station transferred.
The action on the policemen was taken following instruction from Chief Minister Nitish Kumar to the Director General of Police Abhayanand at a meeting at which Principal Secretary (Home) Amir Subhani was also present, a statement said today.
A high-level inquiry by a joint team of a secretary level officer in the home department and a police official in the rank of ADG was also ordered into the assault on the liquor trader allegedly at the residence-cum-office of the SP on January 25.
The inquiry followed the statement by the victim at the Patna Medical College Hospital.
The report would be submitted tomorrow based on which suitable action would be taken.
The Chief Minister also directed the officials to lodge an FIR on the basis of the statement of the victim.
RJD president Lalu Prasad and party MP Ram Kripal Yadav visited the PMCH last night and met the victim.
They criticised the state government and said it reflected a poor law and order situation.
The Sheikhpura incident came close on the heels of the removal of Saran range DIG for demanding Rs 10 crore as extortion from a liquor trader.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Eight killed, seven injured after jeep falls into deep gorge in Uttarakhand's Tehri Garhwal
- Masked men raise Pakistan, ISIS flags in Kashmir; stones pelted at policemen
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win