Spurt in crimes forces Bihar to recalibrate strategy
Patna: The crime graph in Bihar has been on an upward curve ever since the NDA was elected to power in November, 2005, defeating the Nitish Kumar-led government`s commitment to bring down crime rate.
A look at the crime figures compiled by the state police department demonstrated that the crime figures had shown a steady increase over the successive years since 2005.
While the number of crimes in 2005 stood at 1,04,778, they increased to 1,10,716 in 2006 and in 2007 the incidents of crime rose to 1,18,178.
The steady annual increase in the number of crimes, served to render NDA`s description of the erstwile Rabri Devi-led RJD government`s rule as the "jungle raj" hollow, as the common complaint on the street goes.
The crime figures for 2008 represented an increase of 10 per cent over those of the preceding year at 1,30,693.
For the next two years, however, the increase in crimes showed a declining trend, with 1,33,525 and 1,37,572 being recorded respectively.
In 2011, the year which saw the Nitish Kumar-led NDA government re-elected to power, there was a seven per cent surge in the crime rate at 1,47,633.
And going by the figures recorded in the first six months of 2012, the number may increase even more by the time the year ends.
As many as 79,768 cognizable offences have already taken place in Bihar in the first six months of this year comprising 1865 murders, 8427 theft, 5687 serious riots and 2546 kidnappings in Bihar much to the embarassment of the state government, according to the police department
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof