Spurt in crimes forces Bihar to recalibrate strategy
Patna: The crime graph in Bihar has been on an upward curve ever since the NDA was elected to power in November, 2005, defeating the Nitish Kumar-led government`s commitment to bring down crime rate.
A look at the crime figures compiled by the state police department demonstrated that the crime figures had shown a steady increase over the successive years since 2005.
While the number of crimes in 2005 stood at 1,04,778, they increased to 1,10,716 in 2006 and in 2007 the incidents of crime rose to 1,18,178.
The steady annual increase in the number of crimes, served to render NDA`s description of the erstwile Rabri Devi-led RJD government`s rule as the "jungle raj" hollow, as the common complaint on the street goes.
The crime figures for 2008 represented an increase of 10 per cent over those of the preceding year at 1,30,693.
For the next two years, however, the increase in crimes showed a declining trend, with 1,33,525 and 1,37,572 being recorded respectively.
In 2011, the year which saw the Nitish Kumar-led NDA government re-elected to power, there was a seven per cent surge in the crime rate at 1,47,633.
And going by the figures recorded in the first six months of 2012, the number may increase even more by the time the year ends.
As many as 79,768 cognizable offences have already taken place in Bihar in the first six months of this year comprising 1865 murders, 8427 theft, 5687 serious riots and 2546 kidnappings in Bihar much to the embarassment of the state government, according to the police department
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Michael Sheen to make directorial debut in killer movie
- Irish fans eye revenge against France; Germany take on Slovakia; Hungary face Belgium
- IIFA 2016 Fashion Trends: Top 6 looks that nailed it at the green carpet! - View pics
- WATCH: OH MY WORD! Did Xherdan Shaqiri score greatest ever Euro goal?
- Lachipora encounter: Security forces shot dead 2 militants; gunbattle underway