State symbols of Bihar - sparrow, marigold, peepal
Patna: The Bihar cabinet has declared sparrow as the state animal, marigold as the state flower and peepal as the state tree, an official said Wednesday.
"The state cabinet approved the proposal late Tuesday. They will be (now) used as state symbols," Brajesh Mehrotra, cabinet secretary, said.
He said the government took the decision to help conserve these species and to provide protection to them.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who also heads the state wildlife board, had proposed to notify the house sparrow as the state bird after expressing concern over its dwindling numbers earlier this year.
Bihar celebrates March 20 as "sparrow day" every year.
According to bird expert Arvind Mishra, fast urbanisation and the installation of large numbers of mobile towers was a major factor for the dwindling population of the sparrow in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Warning message on banned sites: ISPs run into technical issue
- M&M launches DiGiSense platform to access vital vehicle info
- Oil falls amid supply glut, lower prospects of output freeze
- UN verified Dawood's Pak addresses, wife, father's name, aliases; high time it extradites him: MEA
- Injured Cristiano Ronaldo absent from Portugal squad for World Cup 2018 qualifying round