State symbols of Bihar - sparrow, marigold, peepal
Patna: The Bihar cabinet has declared sparrow as the state animal, marigold as the state flower and peepal as the state tree, an official said Wednesday.
"The state cabinet approved the proposal late Tuesday. They will be (now) used as state symbols," Brajesh Mehrotra, cabinet secretary, said.
He said the government took the decision to help conserve these species and to provide protection to them.
Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, who also heads the state wildlife board, had proposed to notify the house sparrow as the state bird after expressing concern over its dwindling numbers earlier this year.
Bihar celebrates March 20 as "sparrow day" every year.
According to bird expert Arvind Mishra, fast urbanisation and the installation of large numbers of mobile towers was a major factor for the dwindling population of the sparrow in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal