Sub-Inspector shot dead
Bhagalpur: A police Sub-Inspector on patrolling duty was shot dead by armed assailants in Bhagalpur district, a senior police officer said today.
Bhagalpur Deputy Inspector General (DIG) Sanjay Singh said SI Avinash Kumar was patrolling with police party in Khulni Bahiyar locality last night, when he noticed a few armed men.
"Kumar and other members of the police party gave them a chase. Kumar ran ahead of others and managed to nab one of the fleeing persons, who fired at him from close range," said the DIG.
"The bullet hit Kumar near the right side of his nose and he died on the spot. The criminals tried to take away his arms, but by that time other police personnel arrived on the scene and started firing," the DIG said.
Seeing the police force, the assailants fled away. The SI was rushed by his colleagues to a hospital in Bhagalpur city, where he was declared brought dead.
Police have launched a manhunt to nab the persons involved in the shootout, and have arrested one person identified as Tarni Mandal.
The arrested person is being interrogated about his associates and motive. The police officials are also trying to find out whether there is a Maoist link to the incident, as the area is Naxal-hit.
Kumar was an SI of 2009 batch and hailed from Mahadeopur village in Munger district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price