Chhattisgarh HC upholds conviction of two involved in Naxal activities
Bilaspur: The Chhattisgarh High Court has upheld a lower court judgement awarding 10 years imprisonment to Malti alias K S Priya and Surendra Kosaria, who were convicted for their alleged involvement in Naxal activities.
The court had reserved its judgement on the bail application of the duo, last month.
Yesterday, the single bench of Justice R S Sharma rejected the bail plea of Malti and Surendra, who were arrested in 2008 for their alleged involvement in naxal activities, and upheld the lower court`s judgement awarding 10 years imprisonment to them, their counsel Satish Verma said.
In 2006, Naxal literature and CDs were distributed at the MLA rest house in Raipur through courier.
Around two years after the incident, police had busted an urban naxal network and had arrested Malti along with three others - Surendra Kosaria, Siddharth Sharma and Pratik Jha - on February 22, 2008 in this connection.
A district court had convicted Malti and Surendra and sent them to 10-year jail in July, 2010 while two others were acquitted.
Challenging the decision of the district court, the duo later filed an appeal in the High Court along with an application for the suspension of the sentence and grant of bail.
After hearing the arguments of their counsel, the court had reserved its verdict in the first week of May.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire