Chhattisgarh to bolster anti-Maoist forces
Raipur: Battling rising Maoist militancy, the Chhattisgarh government has decided to add another 2,400 special police officers (SPOs) to be drawn from local youths to combat the guerrillas, an official said on Monday.
"The SPOs have proved to be an asset for the state in fighting Maoist militancy and also in breaking their intelligence network," a senior police officer told a news agency here.
He said that at least 2,400 local youths in Bastar will be appointed as SPOs this year to team up with police and central forces to dismantle Maoists terror network in a sprawling area of 40,000 sq km.
"The guys who know much about Maoists locally in Bastar as well as their intelligence set up and want to serve the country to eliminate leftist insurgency will be recruited as SPOs. The appointment process will begin soon," the officer said.
Chhattisgarh`s Bastar region already has about 2,500 SPOs. They are paid a monthly remuneration of Rs 3,000 as they are not part of the regular police force. But the authorities spend a good amount on providing them capsule training on guerrilla warfare and arms handling.
The Bastar region, comprising Narayanpur, Kanker, Bastar, Bijapur and Dantewada districts, is considered to be the nerve centre of the Maoists since the late 1980s. Over a thousand people have been killed here in the last one decade in Maoist violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Iraqi, Syrian foreign ministers meet in Baghdad
- Will not be bullied, will definitely visit Pakistan to talk peace: Ramya
- Xioami Redmi Note 4 launched, comes with 10-core processor, 4,100 mAh battery
- Michel Platini at sports court for Sepp Blatter appeal
- LIVE streaming: Krishna Janmashtami 2016 celebrations straight from ISKON Delhi – Watch here