Chhattisgarh: Train runs over commuters; 12 killed
Bilaspur (C`sgarh): Twelve persons were
on Saturday killed and ten injured when a train ran over them at a
rail crossing in the district, a senior railway police
The victims were crossing the tracks when the mishap took
place at a spot near Tarbahar area of the town on the
Mumbai-Howrah rail route, IG (Railway) R K Devangan said.
The gates of the crossing were closed as two trains were
approaching the spot on parallel tracks, he added.
A group of over 20 people stepped onto the track to avoid
one goods train that was coming on an adjacent track but were
run over by the other train, he said.
The IG said rescue teams from Raipur and Bilaspur have
been dispatched to the spot.
Following the incident, a mob ransacked the office of the
district collector and set ablaze government vehicles at the
Police had to use force to disperse the mob.
The Chhattisgarh government has announced an ex-gratia of
Rs 50,000 each to the next of the kin of those killed in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation