Chhattisgarh: Train runs over commuters; 12 killed
Bilaspur (C`sgarh): Twelve persons were
on Saturday killed and ten injured when a train ran over them at a
rail crossing in the district, a senior railway police
The victims were crossing the tracks when the mishap took
place at a spot near Tarbahar area of the town on the
Mumbai-Howrah rail route, IG (Railway) R K Devangan said.
The gates of the crossing were closed as two trains were
approaching the spot on parallel tracks, he added.
A group of over 20 people stepped onto the track to avoid
one goods train that was coming on an adjacent track but were
run over by the other train, he said.
The IG said rescue teams from Raipur and Bilaspur have
been dispatched to the spot.
Following the incident, a mob ransacked the office of the
district collector and set ablaze government vehicles at the
Police had to use force to disperse the mob.
The Chhattisgarh government has announced an ex-gratia of
Rs 50,000 each to the next of the kin of those killed in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister