Electricity tower falls, one killed in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A construction worker was killed and nine others injured when a high-tension electricity tower, on which they were working, collapsed in Janjgir-Champa district of Chhattisgarh on Sunday.
The incident occurred at Jhalmala village under Pamgarh police station area, Superintendent of Police Sheikh Arif Hussain told PTI over phone.
The labourers, natives of Malda, West Bengal, were working for L&T, which is executing a contract for Power Grid Corporation of India Limited, the SP said.
Identity of the deceased man was yet to be ascertained. The injured were admitted to Apollo Hospital in Bilaspur.
Weak foundation may have led to the mishap, police believe. Amid protest by the villagers, the district administration has ordered a magisterial enquiry, and announced compensation to the kin of victims.
"We will provide compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the kin of deceased and one lakh to the relatives of those injured," Janjgir-Champa collector RPS Tyagi told PTI. "Strict action will be taken against those guilty," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city