Electricity tower falls, one killed in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A construction worker was killed and nine others injured when a high-tension electricity tower, on which they were working, collapsed in Janjgir-Champa district of Chhattisgarh on Sunday.
The incident occurred at Jhalmala village under Pamgarh police station area, Superintendent of Police Sheikh Arif Hussain told PTI over phone.
The labourers, natives of Malda, West Bengal, were working for L&T, which is executing a contract for Power Grid Corporation of India Limited, the SP said.
Identity of the deceased man was yet to be ascertained. The injured were admitted to Apollo Hospital in Bilaspur.
Weak foundation may have led to the mishap, police believe. Amid protest by the villagers, the district administration has ordered a magisterial enquiry, and announced compensation to the kin of victims.
"We will provide compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the kin of deceased and one lakh to the relatives of those injured," Janjgir-Champa collector RPS Tyagi told PTI. "Strict action will be taken against those guilty," he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference