Electricity tower falls, one killed in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: A construction worker was killed and nine others injured when a high-tension electricity tower, on which they were working, collapsed in Janjgir-Champa district of Chhattisgarh on Sunday.
The incident occurred at Jhalmala village under Pamgarh police station area, Superintendent of Police Sheikh Arif Hussain told PTI over phone.
The labourers, natives of Malda, West Bengal, were working for L&T, which is executing a contract for Power Grid Corporation of India Limited, the SP said.
Identity of the deceased man was yet to be ascertained. The injured were admitted to Apollo Hospital in Bilaspur.
Weak foundation may have led to the mishap, police believe. Amid protest by the villagers, the district administration has ordered a magisterial enquiry, and announced compensation to the kin of victims.
"We will provide compensation of Rs 10 lakh to the kin of deceased and one lakh to the relatives of those injured," Janjgir-Champa collector RPS Tyagi told PTI. "Strict action will be taken against those guilty," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you