Maoists grill villagers in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Armed Maoists grilled over a hundred tribals in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh on Thursday to identify police informers, police sources said.
Dozens of rebels swooped down on Dubbatola village, some 500 km south of here, and questioned the locals.
"The grilling went on for about four hours. The villagers were let off with a stern warning against giving direct or indirect support to the police in the area," a police officer told a news agency over phone from Dantewada.
Dantewada Superintendent of Police Ankit Garg said: "I heard that Maoists held villagers hostage for a few hours, but when police visited the village, all the civilians were found present."
Reacting to some TV channels` reports on villagers being kidnapped, Garg said: "I doubt the story, but Maoists surely had a meeting in the area. They even set a tractor on fire."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof