Maoists grill villagers in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Armed Maoists grilled over a hundred tribals in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh on Thursday to identify police informers, police sources said.
Dozens of rebels swooped down on Dubbatola village, some 500 km south of here, and questioned the locals.
"The grilling went on for about four hours. The villagers were let off with a stern warning against giving direct or indirect support to the police in the area," a police officer told a news agency over phone from Dantewada.
Dantewada Superintendent of Police Ankit Garg said: "I heard that Maoists held villagers hostage for a few hours, but when police visited the village, all the civilians were found present."
Reacting to some TV channels` reports on villagers being kidnapped, Garg said: "I doubt the story, but Maoists surely had a meeting in the area. They even set a tractor on fire."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur