Maoists grill villagers in Chhattisgarh
Raipur: Armed Maoists grilled over a hundred tribals in Dantewada district of Chhattisgarh on Thursday to identify police informers, police sources said.
Dozens of rebels swooped down on Dubbatola village, some 500 km south of here, and questioned the locals.
"The grilling went on for about four hours. The villagers were let off with a stern warning against giving direct or indirect support to the police in the area," a police officer told a news agency over phone from Dantewada.
Dantewada Superintendent of Police Ankit Garg said: "I heard that Maoists held villagers hostage for a few hours, but when police visited the village, all the civilians were found present."
Reacting to some TV channels` reports on villagers being kidnapped, Garg said: "I doubt the story, but Maoists surely had a meeting in the area. They even set a tractor on fire."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'