VC Shukla`s name will figure in martyrs` list: Congress
New Delhi: Congress on Wednesday downplayed reports of veteran party leader Vidya Charan Shukla`s name missing from the martyrs` list of those killed in the May 25 Naxal attack in Chhattisgarh.
"Shukla and one more Congress worker had succumbed to their injuries much later. This was the first list of 28 people, who were killed in the Naxal attack immediately. The two names will also be included as martyrs. It is not a question of any one leader."
"Everybody who died in the Maoist attack -- be it a Congress worker or leader or a security personnel, all of them will be included in the martyrs` list and will be given compensation," party general secretary in-charge for Chhattisgarh, BK Hariprasad told a news agency.
The Chhattisgarh government and opposition Congress have declared to provide the status of "martyrs" to those killed in the attack.
However, the name of Shukla was missing from the list. The former Union Minister had succumbed to his injuries on June 11.
In a major attack on Congress` Parivartan Yatra in Bastar on May 25, Maoists had killed 27 people including PCC chief Nand Kumar Patel, his son Dinesh, party leader Mahendra Karma and ex-MLA Uday Mudaliyar and injured Shukla, who later succumbed to his injuries.
Hariprasad said it was the same list for providing compensation to the affected family members as well.
Union Ministers Jairam Ramesh, V Narayanasamy Hariprasad, and Acting President of the state Congress Charandas Mahant had yesterday visited Jagdalpur and distributed cheques to families of the May 25 attack victims.
The party also distributed cheques to families of Maoist attack victims in Raipur, besides holding a condolence meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video