24 bank accounts of fraud businessman frozen
The police said today it
detected 24 bank accounts of Rupesh Verma, who was arrested
here allegedly for duping investors of about Rs 2,000 crore
through a finance company, and had Rs 11.54 crore in these
During investigation, Verma was also found to have
possessed properties in several states including Gurgaon,
Mumbai, Indore, Jaipur, Nagpur and Raipur, a senior police
Bank records, documents and data fed in computers,
which were seized from Verma`s Delhi and Gurgaon premises, are
being analysed by a "qualified chartered accountant", he said
adding the recovered documents included 21,000 application
forms of investors, receipt books and cash registers.
Verma, Managing Director of Delhi-based M/s Shri Om
Sai Nath Car On Rent Ltd, was recently arrested from the Press
Club of India on the allegations of duping investors to the
tune of about Rs 2000 crore.
According to police, Rs 2.24 crore and some gold coins
were recovered from his office premises at Connaught Place
after his arrest.
The case is being investigated by the Economic Offence
Wing of Delhi and Verma is in judicial custody at present.
A senior official of EoW said preliminary
investigations showed Verma duped "a large number innocent
investors of amounts running into several crores of rupees
through a car-on-rent scheme by promising handsome returns on
However, suspicions of the investors arose when cheques
issued by the company bounced, after which they approached the
"Accounts of Verma`s other threee sister companies
Shree Sai Cine Vision, Shree Om Sai Nath Construction Private
Limited and Swiss Cabs are also being analyzed to examine the
flight of funds," the police official said adding "the role of
other Directors of these companies and Verma`s family members,
is also under investigation."
Verma`s two hotels in Gurgaon, two flats and one
office in Mumbai and one resort at Indore and four office
premises in Jaipur, Nagpur, Indore and Raipur have so far been
identified and procedure has been initiated for their
attachment, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'