24 prisoners freed, 1,000 get remission in Delhi
New Delhi: A total of 24 prisoners were freed from Tihar Central Jail here and 1,000 others, except those convicted for rape, smuggling, and drugs offences, got remission in their sentences ranging from 15 days to two months on the occasion of the Republic Day, an official said.
"Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung gave remission in the jail term of 1,000 prisoners in an official letter sent to us Saturday," Tihar Jail spokesperson Sunil Gupta said.
The remission facility is given every year on the occasion of Republic Day in view of the good conduct of prisoners, he said, adding it is done under the provision of Section 432 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
The decision was announced after Director General, Prisons, Vimla Mehra unfurled the flag Sunday morning at Tihar Jail headquarters.
Prisoners sentenced to one year have been given 15 days` remission, while prisoners with sentences from one to five years will see one month`s remission and those with jail terms from more than five to 10 years have been given remission of 45 days.
Inmates sentenced to 10 years and more have been given remission of two months.
"This remission will not be applicable for those who are convicted under charges of rape, smuggling, NDPS (Narcotic Drugs and Psychotropic Substances) Act and National Security Act," said Gupta.
The remission has also been awarded to those who maintained good conduct in Tihar for an year.
The Tihar Central Jail, housing over 12,000 inmates, is known as South Asia`s largest prison spread in over 400 acres.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead