5 yr jail to three men for kidnapping and robbing
New Delhi: Three youths, convicted for carjacking two city residents and robbing them of Rs 12,000 besides some valuables and the vehicle, have been sentenced to five years in jail by a Delhi court.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjeev Kumar sentenced the trio - Rajesh, Sanjay and Manoj, all in their early twenties, dismissing their pleas for leniency and saying that offence of robberies are increasing in the society day by day.
"It is known fact that the offences of robbery are increasing in the society day by day. Robbers have no fear of law in their minds. Therefore, considering the facts and circumstances of this case and family position of the accused persons and their previous records, I sentence Rajesh, Manoj and Sanjay for a period of five years rigorous imprisonment," the court said.
"The object of sentencing is not only to punish offenders for the offences committed by him, but also to give a message to the society that if any one breaks the law, he would be punished and also giving a sense of security to the general public at large," the court added.
It also imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 each on Rajesh and Sanjay and Rs 12,000 on Manoj, a painter by profession.
The case was registered on complaint of city resident Har Man Preet and his brother Naveen Singh, who said while on their way back home on October 22, 2007 evening, they were stopped by the trio, who forced themselves inside the car on gunpoint.
The prosecution told the court that the trio, after forcing the two brothers to sit on the rear seat, drove their car to a secluded place, where they forced them out of it after robbing them of Rs 12,000, besides their mobile phones and other valuables, and drove away.
The trio, however, were arrested eight days after the incident by a Special Crime Team of the Delhi Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued