AAP`s promises on night shelters exposed, 11 die as cold wave grips Delhi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In the last twenty four hours 11 people have died in the national capital due to extreme cold conditions.
Delhi Police have confirmed the death toll at eleven.
Reacting to the deaths, Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Manish Sisodia said that a probe has been ordered.
A day after Arvind Kejriwal-led Delhi government was sworn into power it had promised night shelters for the homeless people.
Early this month, Delhi Cabinet Ministers Rakhi Bidlan and Manish Sisodia had even undertook a inspection of night shelters night to assess the plight of the city’s shivering poor.
The newly elected AAP government had promised sufficient number of night shelters, but the ground situation seems to have remained the same.
The Delhi High Court on January 09 had expressed displeasure over the government`s incompetence in preventing the death of homeless people in the city as bitter winter cold set in.
Since Friday, Delhiites have been shivering under overcast conditions as the maximum temperature took a big tumble with a cold breeze adding to the chill.
The Delhi NCR region witnessed rainfall Friday night. The capital received 4.2 mm rainfall since yesterday.
It was a chilly and rainy Saturday morning in the national capital with the minimum temperature recorded at 11.4 degrees Celsius, four notches above the season`s average. The Met Office has forecast a cloudy day ahead.
According to Northern Railway, 31 trains coming to Delhi were running late. Humidity at 8.30 a.m. was 100 percent.
The national capital Friday recorded the lowest maximum temperature of the season at 12.9 degrees Celsius, seven notches below average, with the entire day remaining cloudy and with rainfall in some parts. Minimum temperature was recorded a notch above average at 8 degrees Celsius.
The cold condition is expected to get worse as heavy snowfall was reported in Himachal Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores