Accident victim`s family gets Rs 16.65 lakh compensation
New Delhi: The family members of a businessman, who died in an accident with a rashly driven tractor in 2009, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 16 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
The tribunal has directed Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay Rs 16,65,640 to the wife, two kids and father of Mahinder Babber.
"There is nothing on record to dispel the inference that deceased Mahinder Babber died on account of injuries sustained by him in a road accident which occurred on June 26, 2009 because of rash and negligent driving of vehicle (tractor) being driven by its driver.
"There is nothing on record to indicate any negligence on the part of the deceased," MACT Presiding Officer Arvind Kumar said.
Babber`s family told the tribunal that the accident took place on June 26, 2009, when he, along with his three friends, was coming to Delhi in his car from Haridwar.
When they reached Sonali river, a tractor trolley, driven rashly by one Ashok, came at a high speed and hit the car, the family said.
Due to this, 49-year-old Babber suffered fatal injuries and died on the spot.
His family said he was doing business and earning Rs 25,000 per month.
The tractor driver and its owner did not contest the case while the insurance company contended that the accident took place due to Babber`s negligence.
The insurance company said the truck driver and owner were liable to pay the compensation amount as the driver was not holding a valid driving licence at the time of accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa Reloaded: Shahid reveals about meeting Aishwarya
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash