Accident victim`s family gets Rs 16.65 lakh compensation
New Delhi: The family members of a businessman, who died in an accident with a rashly driven tractor in 2009, have been awarded a compensation of over Rs 16 lakh by a Motor Accident Claims Tribunal (MACT) here.
The tribunal has directed Bajaj Allianz General Insurance Company Ltd, with which the offending vehicle was insured, to pay Rs 16,65,640 to the wife, two kids and father of Mahinder Babber.
"There is nothing on record to dispel the inference that deceased Mahinder Babber died on account of injuries sustained by him in a road accident which occurred on June 26, 2009 because of rash and negligent driving of vehicle (tractor) being driven by its driver.
"There is nothing on record to indicate any negligence on the part of the deceased," MACT Presiding Officer Arvind Kumar said.
Babber`s family told the tribunal that the accident took place on June 26, 2009, when he, along with his three friends, was coming to Delhi in his car from Haridwar.
When they reached Sonali river, a tractor trolley, driven rashly by one Ashok, came at a high speed and hit the car, the family said.
Due to this, 49-year-old Babber suffered fatal injuries and died on the spot.
His family said he was doing business and earning Rs 25,000 per month.
The tractor driver and its owner did not contest the case while the insurance company contended that the accident took place due to Babber`s negligence.
The insurance company said the truck driver and owner were liable to pay the compensation amount as the driver was not holding a valid driving licence at the time of accident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed