Attack on Palshikar`s office "sad and farcical": Yadav
New Delhi: Former NCERT advisor Yogendra Yadav on Saturday described as "tragic and sad" the attack on the office of Suhas Palshikar in Pune who along with him had stepped down yesterday from the NCERT committee in wake of the row over cartoon of BR Ambedkar in school text books.
Pointing out that Palshikar had, during the last 10 years, been a teacher to him on Ambedkar and taught him about Ambedkar, Yadav said "such attacks are nothing but farcical".
"For someone who has taught me Ambedkar, for him to be attacked in the name of Ambedkar...Nothing can be more farcical, tragic and sad then this," Yadav said to a news a channel.
Pune police said the persons involved in the ransacking of Palshikar`s office had been invited by him for discussion in his office after they raised objections on the cartoon.
A Republican Panther of India spokesman claimed responsibility for the attack, saying the cartoon amounted to an "insult" to the Dalit icon.
Yadav said he was apprehensive about the attack given that "Pune city has had a history of this kind of intolerance".
He also regretted the ruckus in Parliament over the issue saying "I saw the entire Parliament aligned in a certain way, which is most unfortunate."
Yadav was the chief advisor of the NCERT textbook development committee and Palshikar was one of its members. The Committee had approved the Class XI social science textbook that contained the cartoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre