BJP declines offer to form govt in Delhi, re-election inevitable now?
Zee Media Bureau/Hemant Abhishek
New Delhi: Lieutenant Governor Najeeb Jung`s bid to break the impasse on government-formation failed to yield any result as Bharatiya Janata Party`s chief ministerial candidate Dr Harsh Vardhan declined his offer on Thursday.
BJP declined Lt Governor`s offer conveying to him that it does not have enough seats in the Delhi Assembly and it was willing to sit in the Opposition.
Speaking to scribes after his meeting with the Lt Governor, Dr Harsh Vardhan said, "I told the Lt Governor that as we don`t have majority, it is better for us to sit in opposition and serve the people of Delhi."
"BJP got the maximum number of seats in Delhi and I want to thank the people of Delhi for that," he added.
He hinted that the BJP was prepared to go to another polls, and said, "Whenever we get another chance to contest elections, we will strive to get majority and form the govt."
Vardhan had earlier stressed that the BJP will not stake a claim until it has the number in the 70-seated Delhi Assembly. The BJP, which won 31 seats in Delhi, emerged as the largest single party in the assembly polls, is five MLAs short of a majority. BJP`s ally Akali Dal has one MLA.
Arvind Kejriwal`s Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) won 28 seats in the assembly followed by the Congress` eight.
The Congress has reportedly agreed to back the Arvind Kejriwal-led AAP sans any condition.
The Lieutenant Governor has consulted with experts to explore the next course of action over the issue.
The Election Commission had on Tuesday notified results of the assembly polls in Delhi, paving the way for the start of the formal process of government formation by the Lieutenant Governor.
If President`s Rule is imposed, then the Lieutenant Governor will run the government with the help of a group of advisors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan HC acquits Salman Khan in two chinkara poaching cases
- Watch - Moment of Kabul suicide blast caught on camera
- Devotees throng Lord Shiva temples to celebrate first Monday of 'Saawan'
- Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launches India's first green rail corridor in Tamil Nadu
- UP: 8 children killed as train hits school mini-bus in Bhadohi
- Watch 'Kala Chashma' teaser: Check out Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra's desi swag
- Navjot Singh Sidhu says he quit Rajya Sabha because he was told to stay away from Punjab
- Missing IAF AN32: Co-pilot Pankaj Nandel's family hopeful of his return
- Lifestyle and home remedies to deal with panic attacks!
- Quran desecration case: AAP MLA Naresh Yadav sent to 2-day police custody