BJP under Sangh Parivar pressure on Modi as PM candidate
New Delhi: BJP appears to have come under pressure from Sangh Parivar on the choice of Narendra Modi as its next Prime Ministerial candidate, with VHP demanding announcement of the Gujarat Chief Minister`s name.
However, NDA allies like JD-U have indicated that his name is not acceptable to them.
After a meeting with top RSS and BJP leaders last week, VHP leader Ashok Singhal today openly said Modi should be declared the PM candidate by the party.
"If people themselves are demanding that Modi should be made the PM candidate then BJP will also have to think about it. Such a thing is happening for the first time. After all, the BJP President himself has said that Modi at present is their most popular leader," Singhal said.
There are reports that VHP and some Hindu religious groups close to the Sangh Parivar may discuss Modi`s candidature at a conclave at the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad on February 5-6.
BJP President Rajnath Singh`s proposed visit to the Kumbh Mela on February 6 has added grist to the rumour mills.
Singh, however, maintained that he is not aware of any such development and insisted he is going to Allahabad only to take a holy dip.
Modi may visit the Kumbh but no programme has been finalised yet, sources said.
While BJP sources denied reports that the party may announce Modi as PM candidate very soon, rumours have led ally JD(U) to react strongly to it.
"Who will be the Prime Ministerial candidate or under whose leadership will a political party contest is decided by political parties. I can`t understand how such a decision is being taken by the sadhus and religious Akharas. Where are we taking our politics to? If religious leaders will decide this then it shows complete bankruptcy," JD(U) spokesperson Shivanand Tiwari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured