BJP under Sangh Parivar pressure on Modi as PM candidate
New Delhi: BJP appears to have come under pressure from Sangh Parivar on the choice of Narendra Modi as its next Prime Ministerial candidate, with VHP demanding announcement of the Gujarat Chief Minister`s name.
However, NDA allies like JD-U have indicated that his name is not acceptable to them.
After a meeting with top RSS and BJP leaders last week, VHP leader Ashok Singhal today openly said Modi should be declared the PM candidate by the party.
"If people themselves are demanding that Modi should be made the PM candidate then BJP will also have to think about it. Such a thing is happening for the first time. After all, the BJP President himself has said that Modi at present is their most popular leader," Singhal said.
There are reports that VHP and some Hindu religious groups close to the Sangh Parivar may discuss Modi`s candidature at a conclave at the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad on February 5-6.
BJP President Rajnath Singh`s proposed visit to the Kumbh Mela on February 6 has added grist to the rumour mills.
Singh, however, maintained that he is not aware of any such development and insisted he is going to Allahabad only to take a holy dip.
Modi may visit the Kumbh but no programme has been finalised yet, sources said.
While BJP sources denied reports that the party may announce Modi as PM candidate very soon, rumours have led ally JD(U) to react strongly to it.
"Who will be the Prime Ministerial candidate or under whose leadership will a political party contest is decided by political parties. I can`t understand how such a decision is being taken by the sadhus and religious Akharas. Where are we taking our politics to? If religious leaders will decide this then it shows complete bankruptcy," JD(U) spokesperson Shivanand Tiwari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000