BJP under Sangh Parivar pressure on Modi as PM candidate
New Delhi: BJP appears to have come under pressure from Sangh Parivar on the choice of Narendra Modi as its next Prime Ministerial candidate, with VHP demanding announcement of the Gujarat Chief Minister`s name.
However, NDA allies like JD-U have indicated that his name is not acceptable to them.
After a meeting with top RSS and BJP leaders last week, VHP leader Ashok Singhal today openly said Modi should be declared the PM candidate by the party.
"If people themselves are demanding that Modi should be made the PM candidate then BJP will also have to think about it. Such a thing is happening for the first time. After all, the BJP President himself has said that Modi at present is their most popular leader," Singhal said.
There are reports that VHP and some Hindu religious groups close to the Sangh Parivar may discuss Modi`s candidature at a conclave at the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad on February 5-6.
BJP President Rajnath Singh`s proposed visit to the Kumbh Mela on February 6 has added grist to the rumour mills.
Singh, however, maintained that he is not aware of any such development and insisted he is going to Allahabad only to take a holy dip.
Modi may visit the Kumbh but no programme has been finalised yet, sources said.
While BJP sources denied reports that the party may announce Modi as PM candidate very soon, rumours have led ally JD(U) to react strongly to it.
"Who will be the Prime Ministerial candidate or under whose leadership will a political party contest is decided by political parties. I can`t understand how such a decision is being taken by the sadhus and religious Akharas. Where are we taking our politics to? If religious leaders will decide this then it shows complete bankruptcy," JD(U) spokesperson Shivanand Tiwari said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- Rajnath Singh to arrive in trouble-torn Kashmir on Saturday
- WOAH! Cristiano Ronaldo opens own 'CR7' hotel, gives name to airport
- Usain Bolt eases to victory, Kendra Harrison hurdles to glory
- Oil dives 2%, heads for weekly loss as US rigs rise
- German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at Munich shopping mall; police say he acted alone