BJP`s municipal leadership oppose move to hike pro
New Delhi: Ruling BJP in the three Delhi municipal corporations on Thursday raised their objection to the announcements made by Commissioners on increasing property tax and parking charges.
The BJP leadership in the civic bodies voiced their resentment during a meeting they had with Lt Governor Tejinder Khanna. They claimed that Khanna counselled the Municipal Commissioners to remain cautious about such things.
At a joint press conference yesterday, the Commissioners of South, North and East Delhi Corporations had said they would propose increase in property tax and parking charges and place it in respective Standing Committees.
Raising the issue during the meeting with Khanna, Leader of House in South Delhi Municipal Corporation Subhash Arya said the Commissioners should not go to media unless or until the proposal takes a concrete shape.
He said that as far as imposition of new tax or increase in tax rate is concerned, it is the prerogative of the Corporation.
The meeting was attended by Mayors Meera Aggarwal (North), Annapurna Mishra (East) and Savita Gupta (South), Deputy Mayors of Azad Singh (North) and Usha Shastri (East), Leaders of House Arya, Mahinder Nagpal (North) and B B Tyagi (East) among others.
The leaders also suggested that a meeting be convened every month under the Chairmanship of the Lt Governor, with representatives of Urban Development Ministry, Director (Local Bodies), all the Mayors and Municipal Commissioners as its members to chalk out the issues tangled in multiplicity of authorities and adamancy of the government.
They also said that the last instalment of the global share which is released on March 31 should be released in the month of January so that the funds could be utilised properly.
V K Malhotra, Leader of Opposition in Delhi Assembly, also found fault with the Commissioners` announcements.
"It is highly violative of the norms and rules....They may be appointed by Delhi government but they are responsible to the Corporations," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'