Bribe of Rs 300 lands DDA official in jail
New Delhi: A bribe of Rs 300 has landed a
DDA official in jail besides having to cough up a fine which
is over 30 times the illegal gratification amount.
The section officer in horticulture division of DDA was
sentenced to two-and-half years in jail and imposed a fine of
Rs 10,000 by Special Judge B R Kedia for demanding a bribe of
Rs 300 in 2006.
In August 2006, Dalip Kumar lodged a complaint with the
Anti Corruption Branch against section officer Dhirender Verma
regarding demand of Rs 300 bribe for allowing him to reside in
a pump house in DDA Park, Mayur Vihar, Phase II.
Kumar deposed in the court that he, along with his
family, was residing in the pump house as an officer of
Horticulture Department had allowed him to stay there.
However, after the officer retired, Verma demanded Rs 200
for letting him reside in the pump house, which he paid.
Thereafter, in August, 2006 Verma demanded Rs 300 from
him, which he agreed to pay the next day and went to lodge the
A trap was laid and Verma was caught accepting the bribe.
"Accused Dhirender Verma stands convicted for offence
punishable under section 7 (public servant taking illegal
gratification) and 13 (2) read with Section 13 (1)(d)
(criminal misconduct by public servant) of Prevention of
Corruption Act," the court said.
The court, however, accepted his plea for suspension of
sentence and granted him bail till January 6, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof