Bribe of Rs 300 lands DDA official in jail
New Delhi: A bribe of Rs 300 has landed a
DDA official in jail besides having to cough up a fine which
is over 30 times the illegal gratification amount.
The section officer in horticulture division of DDA was
sentenced to two-and-half years in jail and imposed a fine of
Rs 10,000 by Special Judge B R Kedia for demanding a bribe of
Rs 300 in 2006.
In August 2006, Dalip Kumar lodged a complaint with the
Anti Corruption Branch against section officer Dhirender Verma
regarding demand of Rs 300 bribe for allowing him to reside in
a pump house in DDA Park, Mayur Vihar, Phase II.
Kumar deposed in the court that he, along with his
family, was residing in the pump house as an officer of
Horticulture Department had allowed him to stay there.
However, after the officer retired, Verma demanded Rs 200
for letting him reside in the pump house, which he paid.
Thereafter, in August, 2006 Verma demanded Rs 300 from
him, which he agreed to pay the next day and went to lodge the
A trap was laid and Verma was caught accepting the bribe.
"Accused Dhirender Verma stands convicted for offence
punishable under section 7 (public servant taking illegal
gratification) and 13 (2) read with Section 13 (1)(d)
(criminal misconduct by public servant) of Prevention of
Corruption Act," the court said.
The court, however, accepted his plea for suspension of
sentence and granted him bail till January 6, 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- Heightened' Dahi Handi revelry continues despite court curb
- Defamation case: 'Supreme Court will decide grounds of Rahul Gandhi's U-turn'
- In rural India, less to eat than 40 years ago
- Watch: Astronaut Scott Kelly congratulates Expedition 48 Commander Jeff Williams on breaking record
- Terrific knock! Pakistani batsman Sharjeel Khan scores 3rd fastest 150 in ODI history – WATCH