BSP MP Dhananjay Singh denied bail in maid`s murder case
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: A court on Friday dismissed the bail plea of Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP) MP Dhananjay Singh, accused of destroying evidence to shield his wife, arrested for torturing her maid leading to her death.
Additional Sessions Judge Dharmesh Sharma rejected the bail application of the BSP leader.
The Delhi Police had on Thursday opposed the bail application, saying the MP had incited his spouse to carry out the "illegal activities" of beating the servants.
Police said: "They (Dhananjay and Jagriti) were directly in constant touch through calls and SMSes. Why they have filed a divorce petition?"
Metropolitan Magistrate Gomati Manocha had dismissed Dhananjay Singh`s bail plea on November 20. The court had also directed Delhi Police to provide protection to the witnesses.
Dhananjay Singh, claiming that case against him is politically motivated, has moved his bail plea in the sessions court. He has said that the magistrate while dismissing his bail had not considered the facts and circumstances of the case and acted in an arbitrary manner.
The MP, who represents the Jaunpur Lok Sabha constituency in Uttar Pradesh, was arrested and booked for destroying evidence and violating the provisions of the Juvenile Justice Act.
His wife Jagriti was booked for murder, attempt to murder and for violating the Juvenile Justice Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed