Capital witnesses coldest Christmas in five years
New Delhi: Delhiites woke up to the coldest Christmas in five years on Sunday as the mercury plunged to the season`s lowest of 2.9 degrees Celsius, five degrees below normal.
"While today`s minimum broke yesterday`s record of 3.3
degrees Celsius, the maximum was recorded at 20.3 degrees
Celsius, one degree below average," a Met department official
Noting that the temperature may go down further with the
winter chill here to stay for another couple of days, he said,
the prediction for tomorrow suggests that minimum temperature
could even touch 2 degrees Celsius and maximum would be around
21 degrees Celsius.
However, there was good news for air travellers as the
Weatherman predicted a clear sky with "shallow" fog in the
morning without chances of rain.
The Met department also said the maximum and the minimum
humidity were recorded at 93 and 27 per cent respectively.
The coldest day of the season so far was December 24 when
the minimum dropped to 3.3 degrees Celsius.
In December last year, the minimum had come down to 5.2
degrees Celsius on the 22nd of the month. In the past decade,
the lowest minimum for the month was recorded on December 12,
2005 when the mercury recorded 3.3 degrees Celsius while the
highest maximum was 28.4 degrees on December 15, 2003.
The record for the lowest minimum for the month of
December is 1.1 degree Celsius recorded on the 26th of the
month in 1945 and the highest maximum was 29.3 degrees on
third of the month in 1987.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie