Capital witnesses coldest Christmas in five years
New Delhi: Delhiites woke up to the coldest Christmas in five years on Sunday as the mercury plunged to the season`s lowest of 2.9 degrees Celsius, five degrees below normal.
"While today`s minimum broke yesterday`s record of 3.3
degrees Celsius, the maximum was recorded at 20.3 degrees
Celsius, one degree below average," a Met department official
Noting that the temperature may go down further with the
winter chill here to stay for another couple of days, he said,
the prediction for tomorrow suggests that minimum temperature
could even touch 2 degrees Celsius and maximum would be around
21 degrees Celsius.
However, there was good news for air travellers as the
Weatherman predicted a clear sky with "shallow" fog in the
morning without chances of rain.
The Met department also said the maximum and the minimum
humidity were recorded at 93 and 27 per cent respectively.
The coldest day of the season so far was December 24 when
the minimum dropped to 3.3 degrees Celsius.
In December last year, the minimum had come down to 5.2
degrees Celsius on the 22nd of the month. In the past decade,
the lowest minimum for the month was recorded on December 12,
2005 when the mercury recorded 3.3 degrees Celsius while the
highest maximum was 28.4 degrees on December 15, 2003.
The record for the lowest minimum for the month of
December is 1.1 degree Celsius recorded on the 26th of the
month in 1945 and the highest maximum was 29.3 degrees on
third of the month in 1987.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply