CK Jaffer Sharief put on trial in 1995 corruption case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Monday charged former Union Minister C K Jaffer Sharief with causing loss to the public exchequer in a 1995 corruption case involving a foreign jaunt undertaken by him.
Special CBI Judge NK Kaushik fixed August 21 to commence the trial against the senior congress leader who has been charged with various offences under the Prevention of Corruption Act.
Sharief has pleaded innocence and has claimed trial in the case along with four others.
He is accused of `dishonestly` ensuring journey of his erstwhile Additional Private Secretary B N Nagesh, stenos SM Masthan and V Muralidharn, and driver CH Samaullah to London with him.
The Supreme court earlier on May 10 had refused to stay the framing of charges against Sharief.
The case dated back to 1995 when Sharief, as an Union minister had gone to London for his treatment and had allegedly taken four of his official staffers on the trip unauthorisedly, causing a loss of Rs seven lakh to the state exchequer.
The CBI had filed the closure report in the case for want of official sanction to prosecute him, but the trial court had proceeded against him.
An FIR was registered against Sharief in 1998 by the CBI, however, in 2005, the agency filed a closure report citing refusal of sanction.
The lower court, however, had rejected the closure report saying it appeared that the entire material collected by the prosecution had not been placed before sanctioning authority.
The CBI again filed a closure report. The special judge, however, declined the CBI request and took cognisance of the offence under PC Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened