Colonel barred from promotion for irregularities
New Delhi: The Army has expressed "severe
displeasure" against a Colonel who has been indicted by a
Court of Inquiry for alleged irregularities in construction of
a building in Udhampur in Jammu and Kashmir.
Colonel Sunil Khosla, Commanding Officer of the 5171
ASC battalion, in 2008, was reprimanded by the Northern Army
Commander Lt Gen B S Jaswal after the COI submitted its
Under the Army Act, an officer awarded a "severe
displeasure" by a commander is barred for promotion for three
years. In case the sentence is given by the Army Chief, the
officer is permanently barred from being promoted.
The COI was launched after the Udhampur-based Northern
Army Command received an anonymous complaint against the
Colonel, Army sources said.
In the complaint, it was alleged that the officer,
while commanding this batallion in Udhampur, had threatened a
jawan to get a Guard Room constructed in the unit at his own
expense or else face disciplinary action, they added.
Taking action on the complaint, the COI submitted its
report to Northern Army Commander Jaswal last year.
After going through the inquiry, under administrative
action, the Army Commander decided to issue a show cause
notice to Khosla.
After receiving the officer`s reply, the Army
Commander expressed "severe displeasure" at his conduct in the
Meanwhile, the officer has filed a statutory complaint
against the action with the Army Headquarters here and also
approached the Armed Forces Tribunal in this regard.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Live: Jayalalithaa's mortal remains taken to Rajaji Hall for people to pay last respects
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what