Congress issues ultimatum for BJP to withdraw `false` poll ads
New Delhi: Slamming Harshvardhan over his polio eradication claims, one of the campaign themes for BJP for the Delhi Assembly elections, Congress on Saturday threatened to move Election Commission demanding cancellation of the nomination of the saffron party`s chief ministerial candidate.
Ridiculing BJP as being "Bahut Jhoothi Party", AICC General Secretary for Delhi, Shakeel Ahmed, also said that Harshvardhan was showing a syndrome of resorting to lies.
"Harshvardhan was health minister of Delhi between 1993 to 1998. In 1998, reported polio cases in Delhi were 47 and 73 in 1999. How he eradicated polio?" Ahmed questioned in a post on `twitter.Com`.
Talking to PTI, Ahmed said, "When he remitted office in 1998, there were 47 cases of polio in Delhi. Figures show that the number rose to 73 in 1999. So how did he eradicate the disease if the number of polio cases rose the next year.
"BJP is running a series of election advertisements on radio, latching on to the false claim about Harshvardhan.
"If it does not withdraw these advertisements from all media platforms, including radio, within 24 hours, a Congress delegation will meet Election Commission on Monday and demand that the nomination of the BJP leader be cancelled as he was misleading the people by spreading lies," he said.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha, Sushma Swaraj, had a few days back launched the revised edition of Harshvardhan`s book on polio eradication, `A Tale of Two Drops`.
She had also raised a call for "eradicating the Congress like Harshvardhan eradicated polio".
Ahmed said, "BJP is actually `Bahut Jhoothi Party`. It believes in spreading only lies and Harshvardhan is also showing the same syndrome."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!