Court lets off three alleged LeT operatives
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Friday acquitted three alleged LeT terrorists, including a Pakistani national, facing trial on charges of planning to disrupt celebrations being held here in 2007 to mark the 150th anniversary of the First War of Independence.
Additional Sessions Judge Savita Rao acquitted Mohammad Hasan alias Abu Qasim of Pakistan and Shafqat Iqbal Mir and Shabbir Ahmed of Doda in Jammu and Kashmir, saying the prosecution has failed to prove its charges against them.
The court, however, held Pakistani national guilty of entering and staying in India illegally. He is to be sentenced next week.
The trio had been arrested in 2007 from outside a tourist destination here.
The police had claimed it had arrested them in April 2007 from outside Dilli Haat in south Delhi while they were exchanging bags of explosives.
All the three had been booked for waging war against the country under the Indian Penal Code and also under the Explosive Substances Act.
The prosecution had claimed the three had been asked to target the celebrations organised in the Capital to mark the 150th anniversary of the First War of Independence.
Their counsel M S Khan had argued the police could not prove that they were LeT operatives and were here to carry out strikes.
The court also noted that the investigating agency had failed to produce before it the hand grenades alleged to have been recovered from the trio.
Khan had also argued that the police had failed to prove its case that the trio were in touch with Abu Alqama, the LeT chief of operations in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP