Court orders charge framing against Gupta on Dikshit`s plea
New Delhi: Spelling trouble for BJP leader Vijender Gupta, a court here on Monday ordered framing of charges against him in a criminal defamation complaint lodged against him by Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
Metropolitan Magistrate Namrita Aggarwal said "prima facie" an offence of defamation is made out against Gupta and fixed the matter for July 27 for formally framing charges against him.
"Even the contention of counsel for accused (Gupta) that since the editor, publisher or the reporter of the referred newspapers have not been examined, no case is made out against the proposed offender is premature.
"The complainant has a liberty to prove the case beyond reasonable doubt at a stage subsequent to framing of notice in a summons triable case. In this case, prima facie offence under section 500 (punishment for defamation) IPC is made out against the accused.
"To come up on July 27 for framing notices under section 500 IPC against the accused," the court said.
The magistrate also directed Gupta to personally appear in the court on the next date of hearing.
During the hearing, the court granted exemption from personal appearance to both Dikshit and Gupta for the day.
The court had on May 15 reserved its order on whether to frame charges against Gupta when Dikshit had also appeared before it.
Dikshit had appeared in the court on May 30 last year for recording her statement, after which Gupta was summoned as an accused in the case.
Dikshit had filed the criminal defamation case against Gupta alleging that the BJP leader used "uncivilised" language against her in the run up to the MCD polls last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- VIDEO: Shikhar Dhawan reveals impact of Yuvraj Singh in India dressing room