Data "exposed" Dikshit`s claim about life quality in Delhi: BJP
New Delhi: Attacking Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, senior BJP leader V K Malhotra on Wednesday claimed the Statistics and Programme Implementation Ministry`s data has "exposed" her claims about the quality of life in the national capital.
"The statistics released by the Statistics and Programme Implementation Ministry has exposed the Delhi government. Time and again, the Delhi Chief Minister was patting her own back by trumpeting the increase in annual income of individuals as the highest in Delhi but the reality is quite different," Malhotra said.
He said the government had stated that more than 73 lakh people were living below the poverty line in Delhi while on the other hand and it also claimed that average individual income of Delhiites was more than Rs one lakh.
"The statements contradict each other," the Leader of the Opposition in Delhi assembly alleged.
Malhotra said that as per the statistics released by the Statistics and Programme Implementation Ministry, there was more than 432 per cent increase in school fee during the past nine years.
Malhotra accused the Sheila Dikshit government of failing to check the rise in prices of essential commodities. "Prices of more than 150 commodities have doubled during the past nine years while prices of essential commodities such as vegetables, flour, milk, pulses and sugar have gone up by three to four times."
He also said since the Congress government has come to power, water charges have gone up by 1,700 per cent in nine years and electricity charges have gone up "beyond the bearable limit of the common man".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi