Delhi gang-rape: Court takes up foreign media`s coverage plea
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Friday issued notice to the city police on a plea of a group of foreign correspondents here seeking permission to cover the day-to-day trial of the Dec 16 gang-rape case.
Justice Rajiv Shakdher, issuing notice to police, asked them to file their response by July 11.
Members of the Foreign Correspondents` Club had moved the court seeking review of the March 22 order that allowed the national print and electronic media to cover the trial. The foreign correspondents said that they were registered with the Indian government`s Press Information of Bureau (PIB) and are reporting to various foreign media as responsible journalists.
"Since publication of journals, magazines, newspapers for which members of applicant society are reporting is permitted to be circulated in India and abroad and PIB also recognises the same, members of the applicant association be permitted to report about the trial of the case of gang rape...," the plea said.
Justice Shakdher earlier on March 22 lifted the media gag order passed by the trial court.
The court, allowing the plea of a group of accredited journalists from the high court, also set aside Delhi Police`s Jan 5 advisory which said the proceedings in the case cannot be reported as the lower court had already taken cognizance of the charge sheet and the magisterial court`s Jan 7 order for in-camera trial in the case.
The 23-year-old woman was gang-raped and brutalised by six men in a moving bus on Dec 16 last year. She died in a Singapore hospital on December 29.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi