Delhi gang-rape: Probe ordered into Delhi CM’s allegation
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday ordered an inquiry to ascertain the allegations made by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit that senior Delhi Police officials were allegedly interfering in the recording of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim’s statement.
As per reports, the probe was ordered by Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde following an ugly spat between the state’s Chief Minister and the Delhi Police.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had written a letter to the Union Home Minister demanding an independent high-level inquiry into the matter.
In her complaint, Dikshit alleged that senior officers of Delhi Police were interfering when the rape victim`s statement was recorded by Magistrate Usha Chaturvedi.
Chaturvedi had also accused three senior police officers of putting pressure on her to record the statement the way it suited Delhi Police.
However, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar categorically denied the allegation.
Delhi Police chief, while refuting the charge, accused the magistrate of not speaking the truth.
It is to be noted that law and order in Delhi comes under the central government and Delhi Police reports to the Home Ministry, not to the state’s Chief Minister.
With Agency Inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know