Delhi gang-rape: Probe ordered into Delhi CM’s allegation
New Delhi: Government on Wednesday ordered an inquiry to ascertain the allegations made by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit that senior Delhi Police officials were allegedly interfering in the recording of the 23-year-old gang-rape victim’s statement.
As per reports, the probe was ordered by Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde following an ugly spat between the state’s Chief Minister and the Delhi Police.
Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had written a letter to the Union Home Minister demanding an independent high-level inquiry into the matter.
In her complaint, Dikshit alleged that senior officers of Delhi Police were interfering when the rape victim`s statement was recorded by Magistrate Usha Chaturvedi.
Chaturvedi had also accused three senior police officers of putting pressure on her to record the statement the way it suited Delhi Police.
However, Delhi Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar categorically denied the allegation.
Delhi Police chief, while refuting the charge, accused the magistrate of not speaking the truth.
It is to be noted that law and order in Delhi comes under the central government and Delhi Police reports to the Home Ministry, not to the state’s Chief Minister.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation