Delhi gang-rape: Sheila Dikshit meets PM
New Delhi: Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Monday night met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and discussed with him the prevailing situation in the city arising out of widespread protests in the wake of the brutal gang-rape of a 23-year-old girl student.
Dikshit apprised the Prime Minister about the steps being taken by her Government to ensure a safe environment for women in the national Capital.
The Chief Minister also conveyed her views on steps needed to be taken by various agencies to instill confidence of women in the security system, sources said.
She also sought the Prime Minister`s intervention in directing the agencies concerned so that the city can be made a safer place for women, they said.
Dikshit is also understood to have conveyed to the Prime Minister the need to enhance punishment for those found guilty in committing heinous crime against women as well as a fast track trial of the convict.
Delhi Government has already announced a number of steps including setting up of a control room at Chief Minister`s office to receive complaints of women and take follow up action with help of police.
At a meeting with Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde yesterday, Dikshit had demanded accountability of senior police officers in the gang-rape incident and sought immediate setting up of fast-track courts to try rape cases with provisions in the law even for death penalty in rare cases like the one that rocked the city.
She had also called for a "serious look" at VIP security deployment in the Capital, saying it cannot be an "excuse" for not providing security to the common man.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof