Delhi govt steps up attack on Delhi police chief
New Delhi: Stepping up its pressure on Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the gang-rape case, Delhi Government today said he has no authority to comment on functioning of the SDM who complained of police interference while recording the statement of the 23-year-old victim.
"The police commissioner is not an authority to take a decision on the conduct of the SDM," Delhi Chief Secretary PK Tripathi said after a Cabinet meeting presided by the Chief Minister.
Asked whether the issue was being exploited to get political mileage, Tripathi vehemently rejected the allegation and said "no politics is taking place on the issue."
Sources said the cabinet discussed the letter written by Sub Divisional Magistrate Usha Chaturvedi in which she had alleged "interference" by at least three senior police officials while she was recording the statement of the victim.
They said the Cabinet endorsed Dikshit`s demand to Home Minmister SushilKumar Shinde for a high-level inquiry into the complaint and felt that police should have exercised restraint in dealing with the protesters at Raisina Hills and India Gate on Saturday and Sunday.
"The cabinet felt that the police used excessive force against the protesters which is not at all acceptable," a Minister said.
The sources said the Government has decided to continue its "offensive" against the police "high-handedness" and keep pressing for improvement in policing as it felt the force can do a lot in improving the law and order situation.
Dikshit had shot off a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde seeking a high-level inquiry into the Sub Divisional Magistrate`s complaint. The Police Commissioner yesterday had virtually hit back at Dikshit, saying police never forced any questionnaire on the SDM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave
- Navjot Singh Sidhu gets place in Punjab BJP core committee, Anil Joshi out
- She's just 8 months old but parents want mercy killing: Read her story
- Trump's Brexit remarks make him 'unfit' for President: Clinton aides