Delhi govt steps up attack on Delhi police chief
New Delhi: Stepping up its pressure on Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar in the gang-rape case, Delhi Government today said he has no authority to comment on functioning of the SDM who complained of police interference while recording the statement of the 23-year-old victim.
"The police commissioner is not an authority to take a decision on the conduct of the SDM," Delhi Chief Secretary PK Tripathi said after a Cabinet meeting presided by the Chief Minister.
Asked whether the issue was being exploited to get political mileage, Tripathi vehemently rejected the allegation and said "no politics is taking place on the issue."
Sources said the cabinet discussed the letter written by Sub Divisional Magistrate Usha Chaturvedi in which she had alleged "interference" by at least three senior police officials while she was recording the statement of the victim.
They said the Cabinet endorsed Dikshit`s demand to Home Minmister SushilKumar Shinde for a high-level inquiry into the complaint and felt that police should have exercised restraint in dealing with the protesters at Raisina Hills and India Gate on Saturday and Sunday.
"The cabinet felt that the police used excessive force against the protesters which is not at all acceptable," a Minister said.
The sources said the Government has decided to continue its "offensive" against the police "high-handedness" and keep pressing for improvement in policing as it felt the force can do a lot in improving the law and order situation.
Dikshit had shot off a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde seeking a high-level inquiry into the Sub Divisional Magistrate`s complaint. The Police Commissioner yesterday had virtually hit back at Dikshit, saying police never forced any questionnaire on the SDM.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant