Delhi HC stays sealing of illegal mobile towers
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court Thursday stayed the sealing of illegal mobile towers here and asked the Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) and the Cellular Operators Association to resolve the issue amicably.
Justice Kailash Gambhir stayed the sealing till May 19 and issued a notice to MCD.
Directing the MCD and the association to resolve their differences, the court said: "It is a pubic interest matter and should be resolved immediately."
Seeking a stay on the sealing, the association approached the court through its member CS Dua.
In the petition, the operators alleged that sealing by the MCD was illegal as the powers flowing from the Indian Telegraph Act vested with the central government and not any civic authority.
The MCD Wednesday sealed 24 illegal mobile towers in the capital. There are 5,364 phone towers in MCD`s jurisdiction. Of these, as many as 2,952 have been declared illegal for coming up without MCD`s authorization.
The MCD has already sealed about 300 towers in the past few months. But 41 were made operational after the phone companies completed the formalities.
According to the MCD, mobile operators who have erected towers illegally were given one month`s time to get them regularised. The deadline expired last week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared on May 25